History of Bernheim Apter Kreitzman Suburban Funeral Chapel
The firm of E. Bernheim & Sons Memorial Chapel was started by Elias Bernheim as a storefront funeral business on Clay Street in Newark in 1880. With the advent of modern funeral parlors, the business relocated to Belmont Avenue in Newark, where a funeral home featuring a large chapel opened in 1923. Upon Elias’s death in 1925, the business was operated by three of his sons, William, Charles and Emil.
In order to serve a more centralized Jewish population, the business relocated again to Chancellor Avenue in 1954. It remained until 1970, when it merged with Goldsticker Memorial Home. The Goldsticker Memorial Home was founded by William L. Goldsticker on High Street in Newark after the turn of the century. After William’s death in 1943, his son-in-law, Leo Gold, carried on the business until the merger. Needing a more spacious location, E. Bernheim & Sons moved to Clinton Avenue in Irvington.
Philip Apter & Sons was started on Morton and Prince Street in Newark in 1902. Upon the death of Philip Apter in 1925, his sons, Barney and Ellie, took over the business. Philip Apter & Sons served the Jewish community from its hallmark location of Stratford Place and Clinton Avenue from 1945 until 1960, when its suburban location opened in Maplewood. After the deaths of Barney & Ellie, Philip Apter & Sons the funeral home went to Barney’s nephew, Howard and Ellie’s son, Philip.
The firm of Bernheim-Goldsticker was merged with the Suburban Chapel of Philip Apter & Son on Springfield Avenue in Maplewood in 1986, where it remained until the completion of its current facility, which opened on November 30, 2001.
Today we’re a proud member of the Dignity Memorial network, North America’s largest network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers.