In the early 1900’s, brothers, Max and Herman Wien were in the ice business with one horse and wagon. Because ice played an important part in the health aspect of conducting funerals, the brothers eventually entered the funeral business. At that time, plague and voluminous deaths led people with horse and wagons to get funeral director’s licenses. The Wien brothers eventually opened Wien and Wien Chapels on Jersey Avenue in Jersey City.
In 1929, Herman’s two sons, Harry and Arthur Wien, took over the family business and operated it as Wien & Wien, Inc. Memorial Chapels in Hackensack, New Jersey.
Musicant’s Jewish Memorial Chapel was founded in the late 1940’s by David Musicant. In the 1970’s, it merged with Gutterman’s Inc. of Jersey City to become Gutterman and Musicant Jewish Funeral Directors. Alan Musicant, the son of David and Edna, is still involved in the business at Gutterman and Musicant Jewish Funeral Directors.
Wien & Wien inc. Memorial Chapels and Gutterman and Musicant Jewish Funeral Directors share the same facility at 402 Park Street, Hackensack, New Jersey. The reputation and goodwill of Gutterman and Musicant Jewish Funeral Directors and Wien & Wien Inc. Memorial Chapels has been carefully stitched together over these past 100 years. During this period of time, we have earned a reputation for fairness, honesty and sensitivity to special secular and religious needs, and professionalism.
Today we’re a proud member of the Dignity Memorial network, North America’s largest network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers.