Since 1897 Riverside Memorial Chapel has been a respected name in Jewish funeral service, endeavoring to make a time of loss for each family as bearable as possible. Riverside was founded by Louis Meyers as "Meyers Livery Stable" on Norfolk Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan in 1897.
It changed names and locations twice in the early 1900’s—first in 1905 the name changed to
Meyers Undertakers and moved to 54 East 109th Street in Manhattan and again 1916 when the name changed to Meyers & Company and relocated to 228 Lenox Avenue in the fashionable Harlem section of Manhattan.
In 1926, a four-story location was built at the current location at 180 West 76th Street in Manhattan. It consisted of a large chapel with fixed pews, vaulted two story ceilings, arrangement rooms, a casket selection room, three elevators and a spacious lobby. With all the success, the first branch of Meyers & Company opened at 1250 Central Avenue in Rockaway, Queens, New York in 1928.
In 1933, Meyers & Company divided into two separate companies, Riverside Memorial Chapel and Parkwest Chapels, located at 79th Street and Columbus Avenue in Manhattan. A series of branch locations of Riverside opened in the years to come; a location in Florida in 1935, one in 1938 in Brooklyn, one in The Bronx in 1940 and a location in Westchester County in 1950.
We celebrated 100 years of service to the Jewish Community in 1997 and continue to build upon the reputation and goodwill that has been carefully stitched together over the years. During our tenure, we have earned a reputation for fairness, honest dealing, sensitivity to special secular and religious needs, and professionalism.